North East Circus Development Trust
The North East Circus Development Trust (NECDT) was established to facilitate the development of circus across the North East of England. Our two main projects are Five Ring Circus and Circus Central.
Five Ring Circus
This website is dedicated to the Five Ring Circus project which is a NECDT project delivered by Let’s Circuswho are the delivery partner of the NECDT. The £300 000 plus project was a two and a half year investment in youth circus in the region, including a £100,000 NE Generation project grant funded by Legacy Trust UK and £120 000 in-kind support.
As part of the Cultural Olympics, the Five Ring Circus project will hold a number of local youth circus mico-festivals in the NE around the time of the London Olympics in summer 2012. It’s Legacy will be the establishment of Five Ring Circus Troupe – which has funding to 2013 and youth circus clubs which will continue in the region – either hosted by adult/community Cubs or fledge as groups in their own right. Our aim is to develop sustainable circus activity across the region.
Our young Ring Leaders decisions
26th November 2010
The first combined meeting of the Five Ring Circus Youth Board.
Present – Matilda, Ethan, Wilf, Lerato, Nina, Rebecca, Sophie, Matty, Kirk
Apologies – Rhona, Jackie, Dan, Emily, Jake, Rachel
- Five Ring Circus Youth Board – to be Known as ‘Ring Leaders’
- We should have Purple Elbow Awards!
- Ring Leaders seek to ensure that their thoughts are represented in the NECDT’s Mission/Vision/Aims
- We want some where to do Circus – a building, a tent and more Circadium type events
- A safe fun environment for young people to go to do circus and get off the streets ( and then return to the streets as the performers)
- Something new and different
- To change the perception of what circus is and make it more appropriate
- Create and sustain real connections between individuals and groups by providing circus gatherings and events where the circus community can be at home together
- Develop youth leaders – by choosing people who show strong commitment, leadership and progress
- Ring Leaders want to follow Circus Central progress
- Youth Board Elected Team to follow Circus Central – Lucy, Ethan, Rebecca, Nina, Lerato (with space for a few more to join)
Circus Central is our home of circus in the region, providing facilities for community circus, youth circus, professional artists as well as an excellence school for talented young people. The building will see phase 1 of development by early 2012.
A feasibility study, carried out by Brian Debnam and Associates Ltd, indicated a ‘gap on the map’ for circus provision in the UK and that there was significant strategic opportunity for a circus training facility which would serve the region and fit into existing national and international networks. We aim to fill this ‘gap’. The NECDT is in partnership with Christchurch Parochial Church Council and Christ Church C of E Primary School in the development of the project.
We have completed or RIBA stage 3 plans and business planning for Circus Central and have launched a £1.5 million capital appeal to support the redevelopment of the main church building and adjacent halls.
So who are we?
The North East Circus Development Trust is a registered Charity with a board of trustees made up of professional circus artists, lawyers, solicitors and events specialists as well as representatives from the local area of Shieldfield and Newcastle.
- Registered Charity Number: 1136254
- Registered Company Number: 6949073
- Helen Averley
- Steve Cousins
Board of Trustees
- Mike Summersby, OBE– Chair
- Peter Hornsey
- Shirley Mills
- John Wolstensholme
- Sarah Coxon
- Frank Wilson
- Patricia Stead
- Rev. Allan Marks (co-opted member of the board sitting on behalf of the PCC)